Wednesday, April 11, 2007

#18 - "The Walk"


The picture is looking back from green to tee. As we approached the #18 tee, I felt a calmness. Here I was, final hole of Pebble.

To the left, is the Pacific Ocean. Between the ocean and the tee box is a weathered split rail fence – I remember a shot of of Jack Nicklaus sitting on the fence during one of his visits to Pebble Beach.

My camera was empty so Rich graciously took my picture in the same spot that Jack stood years earlier. The walk was amazing, just like what you see on TV during the AT&T Pro-Am. Clubhouse is in the background, winds blowing off the ocean with the magnificent views of the cliff. I was reminded of the history of the course, having watched from TV, never dreaming of being on the course, maybe as a fan, but never as a golfer.


I had been pulling everything to the right all day, but I still aimed right to avoid the ocean. Great drive to the right of the fairway. Tried my 5 wood on my second shot, topped it a bit so I was left with about 120 yards to the green. With the wind, it was a full wedge and I was still short, chipped from the fringe and two putted for a bogey.

Shot a 49 on the back, 2o putts giving me a total score of 99, better than I had hoped. I really didn't care about the score - it was dream come true just to be there.

No comments: